Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Blog Post #4

It looks like the project is coming to an unfortunate end and I can say for certain I have not mastered whittling to the point where I am satisfied. I have been working on the heart and was able to rush it to the point where it at least resembles what I wanted it to look like. The heart ended up to be mostly knife work and very, very, very rough smoothing. Very many patches on the heart are exposed and it looks just as rushed as it was. Also it's height compared to the spade is very inconsistent, not to my satisfaction. I should have realized the heart was too tall in the drafting, but it will be hopefully reshaped to the size I desire.
Also I believe my blades are becoming duller, making it very difficult for making any cut, I looked at some tutorials to sharpening knives, and I believe it is about time I get a sharpening stone and learn how to sharpen a knife.

[Image to be placed of incomplete heart]

Even though I have not finished my intended set suits, I am determined to and I will finish this project. I do not want this project to only be something that I will keep half baked, and I will finish it with the detail that I originally intended. This will definitely include smoothing out and shortening the heart's height and various other shenanigans with proportions. With the level of detail that I desire and the amount of time whittling takes. I may end up finishing my base for all the suits next year, due to the fact that I still have to design and map out the design and shape of the base for all of my pieces, but I will surely finish this sometime in the future. I promise myself and anyone reading this that it will be completed and made with the quality that is acceptable to me, even if it means starting over with the skills I have obtained.



I know this blog post is extremely short, but I had been focusing my attention more for preparation of my TED Talk, which includes preparing the slides and what I am going to say. I think that the heart shows kind of how sloppy my whittling can be with a dull knife and only an hour each day.

Comments:
Jason Shu
Jacob Cohen
Joshua Chu

No comments:

Post a Comment