Sunday, March 1, 2015

Blog Post #3

Catch up on what I am doing by reading update 2.5 and 2.5.1.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After the set back of the failure that is the diamond prototype, I have chosen to work on the second version and it has been going as planned. I have become more aware of the bigger picture and much more careful after throwing the last diamond out the window (not really). I am planning to have the full diamond be create and not just merge with the base, which would make the bottom spike disappear, instead I will have the base go inward, along with the diamond. I have only gotten a little less than halfway in my second attempt.




Completion is still a distance away. I still have to know the location of the base and of course flatten and smooth out the sides of the diamond. But for now it is going as planned. I have also made a bit of product on the heart, while making the decision on what to do with the original diamond, only sawing the outline of the sides.



The setback was pretty devastating at the time but I learned from the board game Go, that if you know that something is fruitless, then you should immediately direct your attention to restarting again with the prior knowledge fresh in your mind to try to counter the original problem. Instead of trying to fix the already messed up diamond, I moved onto restarting.





The diamond has also showed me it is pretty hard to create flat edges and trying to find the best angle to attack the piece with your hand under. Also, I have no cuts! I am glad to report that my fingers are intact and I haven’t cut my finger since the first project. Besides the point that I just jinxed myself, everything is a bit off and I am planning to put in more time to catch up. 

Weekly Comments:
Liliana Xu
Kenny Daily
Sieanna Rahatt

6 comments:

  1. It's good to see that you worked through your setback, and learned a few lessons from it as well! It seems that one thing that you have to remember while whittling is that you can't change the end product as you go along as easily, because each time you cut it's permanent. (Measure twice, cut once)

    Do you have an idea for your final project? Or are you still thinking about what you want to do? Also, how big do you plan on making it? The size will play a large part, as it might be more acceptable to not include as much detail on something that might not fit in your hand, but for something smaller you'd want to include more detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my Update 2.5 post, I go over my plans and show to outline of the club and my heart. In it I state that the final project will end up being a base or holder for the four suits, presumably with slots to put each other project into, but I do not know if that can be accomplished before the end of this project. I may have to finish it on my own time. Also as of the time I am posting it, I must say that I have given myself quite the nasty cut, so I can't say I have been too careful anymore :D

      Delete
  2. I am amazed with how good you are with this. Despite the problem with the diamond, you've done amazingly. You're spade looked great, and this new diamond looks even better. I guess it's demonstrative of the effort you've been putting into this.
    Just as Trevor asked, what are you doing for your final project? Blog Post 2.5 seemed to suggest you were doing the four suits and then something to stand on these suits. I'm not really sure what this means exactly, and am also worried for time. If I'm right we only have two cycles (I think, maybe) left for this project and I wouldn't want to see you bite off more than you can chew considering the progress you've clearly made thus far.
    All in all good job. Keep your fingers safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my Update 2.5 post, I go over my plans and show to outline of the club and my heart. In it I state that the final project will end up being a base or holder for the four suits, presumably with slots to put each other project into, but I do not know if that can be accomplished before the end of this project. I may have to finish it on my own time. Also as of the time I am posting it, I am sorry that I have been a fool! Sorry, but Kenny, I have failed you by giving myself quite the nasty cut (accident of course), so I can't say I have been too careful anymore :D

      Delete
  3. Though I don't think you've mentioned decorating or anything, I wonder if your final product will be painted or something like that. Of course, it's not necessarily painting that you could do, just anything to "polish" it.

    ReplyDelete